McDade Park is Lackawanna County’s premier destination park with the addition in 2009 of the Boundless Playground. The playground is a large inclusive play structure that serves children of all abilities and needs.
Spread across some 200 acres of rambling greenspace, the park is free to all and boasts hiking and nature trails, and natural gardens.
Other features include:
• An Olympic-sized swimming pool with bath house
• Children’s fishing pond stocked several times a year
• Basketball and Tennis courts
• Softball field
• Two pavilions
• Outdoor picnic areas with charcoal grills
• Almost 2-mile cross country running course and hiking trail system
• Lackawanna Coal Mine Tour Complex with concession stand and gift shop
• Pennsylvania Anthracite Heritage Museum and gift shop
• Cancer Memorial Garden and Arboretum
• Bocce courts
• Multipurpose field for soccer and lacrosse
• Free sports equipment rentals
• Large, open fields for Frisbee in the summer and cross-country skiing in the winter
Lackawanna County Coal Mine Tour and PA Anthracite Heritage Museum are also on grounds of McDade Park.