The 1,411-acre Lackawanna State Park is in northeastern Pennsylvania, ten miles north of Scranton. The 198-acre Lackawanna Lake is the centerpiece of this beautiful, modern recreational facility, which also has hiking, camping and picnicking.
The park is easily reached from I-81. Visitors should take Exit 199 and travel three miles west on PA 524. Visitors coming via U.S. routes 6 and 11 should take PA 438 east about three miles to PA 407, then south.
Camping: modern sites, some with elec.
The campground is within walking distance of the lake and swimming area. The campground offers various types of campsites for tents and trailers, 61 sites with electric hookups 40-50 amp., modern centralized washhouses providing hot showers and restrooms, and a sanitary dump station. The camping season is from the second Friday in April until the third Sunday in October. The maximum camping period is 14 consecutive days in the summer season and 21 consecutive days in the off-season. All campground restrooms and washhouses are accessible.
Some unique features of the campground are the children’s play areas and small fishing ponds along Woodland Ponds Trail.
The park is in the Lackawanna Valley. Lacka-wanna is an American Indian word meaning “the meeting of two streams.”
An important Indian trail linked the valley to New York State. In the early 1800s, settlers followed this path and built farms in the Lackawanna Valley. The trail became old PA 407. From 1821 to 1826 the Philadelphia and Great Bend Turnpike was built on old PA 407, spawning many businesses.
In 1898, several area farmers organized the Maitland Fair and Driving Park Association. Annual fairs and horse races attracted large crowds for a dozen years. The racecourse was in the current park camping area on the Woodland Ponds Trail.
The price of water indirectly led to the creation of Lackawanna State Park. In 1912, the D.L. & W. Railroad felt that they were being overcharged for water and began purchasing land to build their own reservoir. The Scranton Gas and Water Company lowered their price and the lake was never built.
The land was leased to farmers until 1946 when Robert Moffat, a prominent Scranton coal operator, purchased the land and rented it to his employees.
In 1968, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania purchased the land and developed it into an outstanding recreation area whose primary attraction is Lackawanna Lake, the meeting place of many streams. The park was dedicated on June 10, 1972.