The Lackawanna Historical Society was founded in 1886 to preserve the history of Lackawanna County, for the benefit of future generations. It is the oldest cultural institution in the county. Through the support of its members, the Society has collected significant published works, manuscripts, maps and atlases, documents, and artifacts capturing the area's rich and historical resources.
Since 1942, the Society has operated from its present location, the Catlin House, built in 1912, in the city of Scranton. Once the sixteen-room residence of George H. Catlin, an early financier in the city, and his wife Helen, the turn-of-the-century home now serves as the organization's headquarters - accommodating exhibits, lectures, and research activities. The home can also be utilized as a meeting or event space with seating capacity for up to 60 people and 1,370 sq. ft.
The organization is committed to keeping vital the history of Lackawanna County by supporting activities and programs which preserve the historical, social, cultural, and economic developments of Lackawanna County.